Mound 29 The smallest of a group of three mounds (27, 28, and 29), Mound 29 is north-northwest of Mound 28 and west-northwest of Mound 27. The Patrick Map illustrates it as a small, conical mound. On the UWM Map, this mound is noted as a slight rise partially cut through by the modern street and delineated by the 127-meter (416.7 feet) contour line. If this is indeed the base, the mound is less than 1 meter (3.3 feet) in height since no other contours are mapped in the area. The earlier maps indicate heights ranging from 8 to 15 feet (2.4 to 4.6 meters) for this mound, illustrating the considerable amount of erosion and reduction resulting from intensive cultivation and modern construction. Using the 127-meter contour as the base, Mound 29 is located between N91-126 and E919-943, giving a north- south dimension of 35 meters (114.8 feet) and an east-west dimension of 24 meters (78.7 feet). This is probably larger than the original mound due to the amount of slope wash that has expanded the area. There are no indications of previous excavations on this mound.
Shown by Patrick as a large, circular-based, flat-topped mound north of what was then called the Collinsville Plank Road (now Business Route US 40), this is one of the better-preserved mounds in that area. A house standing on Mound 28 since the 1870s probably accounts for its preservation. The Illustrated Encyclopedia and Atlas Map of Madison County (1873) shows a house in this area on land owned by a Thomas Kent. The aerial photographs of 1922 show a house and other buildings, as do 1933 and more recent aerial photographs. A brick house stood on this property as recently as 1969, when the State of Illinois purchased it and demolished the house. On the UWM 1 lap, using a 128-meter (420 feet) elevation as the base of the mound, Mound 28 extends from N1-56 and E908 962, giving a north-south dimension of 55 meters (180.4 feet) and an east-west dimension of 54 meters (177.2 feet). The contours on the base map suggest the original squarish outline. Taking abase elevation of 128 meters (420 feet), the top of the mound is 131.7 meters (432.1 feet), representing a height of 3.7 meters (12.1 feet). The earlier maps give varying heights; the McAdams Map of 1882,10 feet (3.0 meters); the Thomas Map of 1894, 20 feet (6.1 meters); and the Peterson-McAdams of 1906,18 feet (5.5 meters). Undoubtedly there is a certain amount of slope wash around the base that obscures the true base of the mound. There are no published records of excavations in Mound 28. When the house on Mound 28 was destroyed, the basement was left intact and filled so that it could be easily cleaned out and the basement walls removed for stratigraphic study.
Just south of Mounds 24-26 is a group of four mounds-53, 28, 29, and 27. Three of these-53, 28, and 29-form a north-south line. Mound 27 is east of Mounds 28 and 29. Whether these mounds are related as a group is not known, and the details of each will be discussed separately. Patrick’s map shows Mound 27 as a conical mound with a bulge on the west side, which gives the overall mound an oval base. Mound 27 appears larger than Mound 29 but smaller than Mound 28. Moorehead makes no reference to this mound in his discussions, and he probably did not excavate into it. The Thomas Map (1894) indicates a height of 15 feet (4.6 meters), as does McAdams’ earlier map (McAdams 1882). Remnants of this mound are indicated on the UWM Map with the base at an elevation of 129 meters (423.2 feet) and a peak elevation of 129.8 meters (425.85 feet), suggesting that all that remains is a mound 0.8 meters (2.6 feet) in height. On the 1922 aerial photograph (Crook 1923:Figure 6), the area of Mound 27 shows a square-shaped patch of disturbed soil with what appears to be an elevated center. This squarish outline is especially apparent on the west, north, and south sides, while the east end appears to be more diffuse. The general oval shape indicated by Patrick suggests the possibility of weathering and reshaping of the mound by this time. The aerial photos and the way Patrick draws this mound imply that it may be a multiple-level mound similar to Mounds 10 and 11.
This is the last mound in the east-west row extending from Mound 19 to Mound 26. Patrick represents it as a conical mound slightly larger than Mound 25. It is about twice the distance from Mound 25 as 25 is from 24. Field surveys indicate that Mound 26 is partially in the yard of the lot at 3210 Amherst Street in State Park Village; the remainder is in the adjoining property and extends to the east side of the street. A contour representing this mound is shown at that same location in the USGS Monks Mound quadrangle. Details on Mound 26 were discussed in Mound 24.